Directly from a Punjabi kitchen, butter chicken has been an immediate hit through the years. Marinated over night, the poultry is cooking and prepared in tomato blend, cream and masalas.
“The roots of butter chicken can be tracked returning to a person known as Kundan Lal Gujral, who ran a cafe known as Moti Mahal Delux in Peshawar before the partition of British Indian. With the partition of British Indian, Moti Mahal shifted to New Delhi. Butter Chicken is considered to have been first created by Moti Mahal in New Delhi” (Wikipedia).
For the Chicken
- 300 gms Chicken breast boneless
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil to pan fry
For the Gravy
- 100 gms roughly cut onions
- 50 gms cashew
- 500 gms roughly slit tomatoes
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cream
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar / 1.5 tbsp White Vinegar
- Salt to taste
How to make Butter Chicken
- Marinate the chicken with ginger paste, garlic paste, red spicy pepper powdered and salt and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes
- In a pan warm some oil then fry the marinated chicken pieces in it, once done position it into a bowl.
- In the same pan add onion, oil, spoonful of butter and once the onions are ripe add tomatoes and cashew nuts
- Add some water and garlic paste, salt, malt vinegar, sugar, garam masala powder and chilli powder. Evenly mix it and let it rumble for 15-20 minutes
- Mix the mixture into fine puree.
- Strains it back into the same pan make sure there is minimal wastage.
- Add butter, cream, chicken and kasoori meethi and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish it with cream and kasoori meethi
Butter Chicken is ready to be served!